March 7, 1970 – Notre Dame junior guard Austin Carr scored an NCAA tournament record 61 points in an opening round game versus Ohio University. The Irish defeated the Bearcats 112-82 in front of a capacity crowd of 13,450 at Dayton University.
Carr still holds NCAA tournament records for most points in one game (61), most field goals in one game (25), and most field goals attempted in one game (44). His record scoring average of 50 points per game in seven NCAA playoff games may never be broken.
Take a look at some of Carr's amazing Tournament records:
- Most Points in a Game — 61 versus Ohio, 1970
- All-Time Career Tournament Scoring Average — 41.3 over seven games
- Most Field Goals Made — 25 (Ohio, 1970)
- Most Field Goals Attempted — 44 (Ohio, 1970)
- Top two highest scoring averages for a tournament — 52.7 points per game, 1970 and 41.7 points per game, 1971 (minimum three games)
- Three of the top five scoring games in NCAA Tournament history — 61 (Ohio), 52 (Kentucky), 52 (TCU)
- Five of the top twelve scoring games in NCAA Tournament history — No other player appears more than once