Earlier reports that had a group led by Jeb Bush and Derek Jeter winning the bidding to buy the Miami Marlins might have been premature.
Commissioner Rob Manfred actually said that there are still two bidders.
"There are multiple bidders for the Marlins," Manfred said Thursday at the groundbreaking for the Jackie Robinson Museum (via Associated Press). "There is no agreement in place. We're working with more than one group, and when we have a definitive agreement we'll make an announcement."
"We still have two groups involved in the process," Manfred continued. "Timing is one of the things that both the buyer and the seller are working through, so it's just impossible to say at this point, and I don't want to get into really what the issues are. The only reason I commented on this at all is there had been so much out there that really (is) not quite accurate."
According to the Miami Herald, Jeter and Bush are still in the process of trying to secure the necessary funding. Given their connections and access to very wealthy friends and associates, it's assumed that they'll be able to raise the capitol. But according to MLB, it's far from a done deal until they say it is.